Super Therm®: Heat Reflective Thermal Ceramic Insulation Coating
Super Therm® is a ceramic, water-based, thermal insulation coating designed to block heat load, moisture penetration, and air infiltration from reaching a surface. The net effect reduces energy costs making it an ideal solution for many applications. You can use Super Therm® for: HVAC, cool roof/white roofs, shipping containers, refrigerated trucks, condensation reduction, and more…
It absorbs almost no solar or convective heat. A minimal application thickness of 1/100th inch (10 mils dft) effectively blocks heat transfer and repels it from the surface. Super Therm® is a flexible insulation coating with low permeability that can greatly extend the useful life of a roof by reducing expansion and contraction (material fatigue) of the substrates. When applied to metal surface, it prevents condensation, corrosion, and surface deterioration as well as keeping it cool while in direct sunlight.
Have Any Questions? Call Us!
Major corporations around the world have applied Super Therm® to the exterior roofs and walls of their plants to insulate, weatherize, and protect them. The coating has a proven 18-year history of lowering energy use (HVAC) inside a structure by up to 70%. This results in substantial savings on monthly energy costs. Using Super Therm® on refrigerated trucks can also result in significant cost savings. Qualified as a 20 year roof coating by ENERGY STAR, Super Therm® is the most effective and longest lasting ceramic insulation coating on the market. We are authorized distributors.
Super Therm Benefits
- Energy savings of 20-70% depending on use and application. Greater savings can be seen with cooler buildings and freezers.
- Environmentally Friendly – Super Therm is certified environmentally safe and eco-effective by MBDC LLC (Cradle to Cradle certification – Gold Certificate) and is approved by the USDA for use in and around food preparation areas.
- UL, FM, ABS and USDA approved
- Low VOC water based coating, 21 grams/liter
- The only ceramic coating rated as an insulator by BOCA (U.S. Building Code).
- Reflects 68% of sound waves that contact it.
- Creates a moisture-resistant barrier to resist condensation, mold and mildew (ASTM D 7088;9/10 per Buckman Laboratories)
- ICC approved, CRCC Listing – selected Energy Star® with only a 0.6% drop in three years (less than 1% loss of reflectivity on the same roof area after three years weathering)
- Energy Star qualified as a 20 year roof coating.
- Class A fire rating. In case of fire, Super Therm will help to prevent spread of, and will not contribute to, the burn.
- Approved Water barrier under ASTM testing D6904 and D7088.
Super Therm Uses
Commercial, Industrial, and Residential:
- Reduces energy costs and increases comfort by coating roofing and interior or exterior walls to keep heat in during winter or heat out during the summer
- Reduces risk of condensation and corrosion on HVAC systems and cold water pipes
- Insulate air conditioning unit outer casings to prevent reductions in efficiency due to heat build up inside the housing
- Insulates oil and gas storage tanks to prevent evaporation and heat build-up
- Insulates freezers or refrigeration units to protect goods and reduce costs
- Reduces fuel consumption with refrigerated trucks
- Protects goods by insulating long haul trailers designed to carry perishables
- Provides a fire-resistant coating for substrates. Super Therm has a “0″ fire and smoke spread and will not contribute to flame
- Insulates concrete decking around swimming pools to provide a cool sitting and walking surface
Super Therm: Proof that Super Therm Outperforms Traditional Insulation
The ASTM C-236 Heat Transfer (Guarded Hot Box) test was performed with Super Therm to determine the BTU/in./sq.ft/hour/F and conductivity performance of Super Therm so that a comparison could be made with traditional insulation. Since this test, many facts have come to light concerning the test methods and procedures used by the traditional insulation industry to demonstrate insulation (R) rating.
These results are astounding! Super Therm is 296% more effective than traditional insulation under identical conditions and shown to be stable all day in field studies by Sony, UPS and others.
* Tested by Owens Corning Insulation for Mechanical Systems 2002.
Super Therm FAQ
1. What is the difference between Super Therm® and other white reflective roof coatings?
Many other reflective coatings on the market reflect only visible light (40% of heat load) and become relatively ineffective when they get dirty in as little as 1 -2 years. Super Therm® reflects 95% of ALL heat energy including infrared, ultra violet, and visible light. The ceramic composition of Super Therm® blocks the transfer of remaining heat from loading on to the building substrate therefore requiring considerably less energy to keep the building cool. Super Therm® has been thoroughly tested and only loses .6% (less than 1%) of its reflectivity after 3 years of weathering.
2. How can Super Therm® extend the life of a roof aside from just coating it?
Since Super Therm® can dramatically decrease the temperature of a roof substrate, there will be significantly less expansion and contraction of roof materials when the substrate cools down. This will substantially reduce substrate “fatigue” which over time causes cracks and ultimately failure.
3. Can Super Therm® be used for flat roofing?
Super Therm® creates an energy efficient flat roof when used in a multi-layer system with Super-Base (HS) and Mastic Sealing Tape. Use Enamo Grip or SP Seal Coat as a top coat. Super Therm® can be applied directly over foam.
4. What is the value of Super Therm® when used inside of buildings?
Super Therm® has been tested to have an Insulation Equivalent value compared to traditional insulation. Super Therm® has a tested emissivity of .91 which is the ability of the coating film to throw the interior convective heat off the wall and back into room to main interior heat. Super Therm® also blocks moisture load and airflow through walls/ceilings to allow heat to be lost or gained and block the airflow that carries warm air through structures. Airflow and moisture load can represent 30% of insulation failure. Super Therm® does breathe and will allow gasses and trapped moisture vapors to transmit for healthy and safe environments.
5. Is Super Therm® rated or certified R-19 like 6-8” of traditional insulation?
No. In calculating an “R” value, a minimum thickness is required and since a coating of Super Therm® is only about 10 mils (1/100th inch) thick, a traditional “R” value for Super Therm® cannot be calculated. Also, Super Therm® is not designed to absorb and load heat which is a requirement for a material to have an “R” value. While Super Therm® handles heat transfer differently than traditional insulation such as fiberglass, spray foam, polyisocyanurate, or polystyrene, the overall heat loss/gain or energy savings would be comparable to that of using traditional R-19 insulation.
6. What is the basis for the Insulation Equivalent value?
The Insulation Equivalent value is based on the ASTM C-236 hotbox, BTU conduction test, Merrimac testing performed on shipping containers, and tests by VTEC Laboratories. Florida Energy Office specialists performed these separate tests in three different parts of the United States. ASTM BTU reduction testing results: dropping BTU “Heat Load” from 367.20 BTU down to 3.99 BTU into substrate.
7. Are there any current formulas and related ASTM testing to correctly test the effects of a ceramic coating used as insulation?
No. All current testing procedures in recognized laboratories are based on substrates and materials that offer a required minimum of thickness of 1 inch and assess only conductive heat transfer. The dry thickness of Super Therm® is 8 dry mils or 8/1000 inch. The current formulas and equations are not adapted to such thin levels of insulation materials and do not consider radiational or convective heat transfer, moisture migration, air movement or surface emissivity. “Heat Load” is the key to heat absorption and then transfer. If heat load is reduced, then the amount of heat “available” for transfer is reduced and therefore affects conduction of heat which is the only measurement std utl measure.
8. Can Super Therm® be applied to metal? Wood? Other surfaces?
Super Therm® can be applied to a variety of surfaces on its own or with Super Base (HS) or SP Primer as a base coat for sealing.
1. Aged or Peppered Steel and Aluminum – apply directly
2. Wood – prime with Super Base (HS)
3. Rusty surfaces – prime with Rust Grip®
4. Very dark surfaces – prime with Super Base (HS)
5. Tar – prime with Super Base (HS)
6. Polyurethane foam – prime with Super Base (HS)
7. Concrete – prime with Rust Grip® or Super Base (HS).
8. Damaged concrete – clean and strengthen the concrete with SP Interlock and Rust Grip® before application
9. Wet surfaces – apply top coat of Enamo Grip or SP Seal Coat
10. How is Super Therm® sold?
Super Therm® is sold in 5 gallon and 1 gallon cans.
Have Any Questions?
Call us at 917-836-7816 for more information about our products or services