Super Therm®: Solar Heat Reflective Thermal Ceramic Paint
Super Therm® is a ceramic, water-based, heat reflective coating designed to block solar heat, heat load, moisture, and air from reaching a surface. It can significantly reduce surface temperatures making it an ideal solution for many applications. Super Therm® is a water-borne combination of high performance aliphatic urethanes, elastomeric acrylics, and resin additives which produces a tough yet flexible coating film.
You can use Super Therm® to insulate and reduce heat for: metal warehouses or storage buildings, shingle and metal roofs, HVAC housings, ducts, air intakes, shipping containers, quonset huts, sheds, refrigerated trucks, animal trailers, condensation reduction, and more.
Air Intake Uncoated – 160.9°F Coated with Super Therm – 90.2°F*
*Using an infrared camera, this application shows over a 70°F surface temperature reduction between adjacent air intakes with the unit on the right coated with Super Therm®. These pictures were taken in August with an ambient air temperature of about 85°F at a facility in Illinois. Performance will vary depending on location, ambient air temperature, strength of the sun, and weather conditions.
Super Therm® contains 4 unique ceramics to block as much as 95% of the three radiation sources from the sun (visual light, ultraviolet (UV), and infrared). A minimal application thickness of 1/100th inch (10 mils DFT) effectively blocks heat transfer and repels it from the surface. Super Therm® is a flexible insulation coating with low permeability that can greatly extend the useful life of a roof by reducing expansion and contraction (material fatigue) of the substrate. When applied to a metal surface, it prevents condensation, corrosion, and surface deterioration as well as keeping it cool while in direct sunlight.
Rated as a 20-year cool roof coating by ENERGY STAR, Super Therm® is one of the most effective and longest-lasting ceramic insulation coatings on the market. We are authorized distributors for Super Therm® and can ship throughout the US.
“Just wanted to let you know that the Super Therm coating is 100% successful. The outdoor temperature has been around 80 to 84 degrees and I am working in the workshop in complete comfort without any air conditioning!! Thank you for all your help in making sure it was applied correctly, and you can be sure I am letting everyone know what a great product you have. All the best, Brian.”
“We are building a home from shipping containers….Superior Coating’s Super Therm product is what we used to coat the exterior. Warren made sure we had an accurate measurement to determine the quantity, guided us through purchase and shipping, and worked with our contractor to ensure successful application. We are thrilled with the results.”
Super Therm® Benefits
- 20+ year lifespan under normal conditions
- Reflects up to 95% of solar radiational heat.
- Environmentally-friendly – Super Therm is approved by the USDA for use in and around food preparation areas.
- Water-based, low VOC (67 grams/liter).
- Rated as an insulator by BOCA (U.S. Building Code).
- Blocks moisture and air filtration.
- Class A fire rating (ASTM E84; 0 smoke, 0 flame).
Super Therm® Uses
Commercial, Industrial, and Residential:
- As a one-coat insulation system on roofs and exterior walls to block solar heat gain.
- To reduce or eliminate condensation on HVAC systems, tanks, spheres, and storage systems.
- To keep shipping containers / ISBU’s (Intermodal Steel Building Units), conex boxes, container homes, or converted work / storage spaces cool while in direct sun.
- As a system over metal, concrete, masonry, and wood to stop moisture penetration and corrosion.
- To insulate air conditioning unit outer casings to prevent heat build-up inside the housings.
- To insulate transportation vehicles, refrigerated containers, reefer trucks, and railroad cars when applied to the exterior.
Need more information? We look forward to helping you get the best results for your project.
Super Therm® FAQ
1. What is the difference between Super Therm® and other white reflective roof coatings?
Many other reflective coatings on the market reflect only visible light and become relatively ineffective when they get dirty in as little as 1-2 years. With 4 unique ceramics, Super Therm® reflects 95% of ALL heat energy including infrared, ultraviolet (UV), and visible light and continues to perform even when it gets dirty.
2. How can Super Therm® extend the life of a roof aside from just coating it?
Since Super Therm® can significantly reduce the temperature of a roof substrate, there will be much less expansion and contraction of roof materials when the substrate cools down. This will substantially reduce “material fatigue” which over time causes cracks and ultimately failure.
3. Can Super Therm® be used on flat roofs?
Yes. For areas where there is ponding, Super Therm® can be top coated with Enamo Grip or SP Seal Coat.
4. Can Super Therm® be applied to metal, EPDM, asphalt, or other surfaces?
Super Therm® can be applied to a variety of surfaces on its own or with Super Base (HS) or SP Primer as a base coat for sealing.
- Aluminum, new metal, wood – apply directly
- Asphalt, EPDM, Modified Bitumen, TPO, single ply membranes – prime with Super Base (HS)
- Concrete – prime with Super Base (HS).
- PVC – prime with SP Primer
- Steel with rust – prime with Rust Grip®
5. How is Super Therm® sold?
Super Therm® is sold in 5-gallon pails and 1-gallon cans.
Super Therm® Documentation
For the most updated Super Therm Tech Data Sheet, Application Instructions, and SDS Sheet, please contact us.
Have Any Questions?
Call us at 917-836-7816 for more information about our products or services
Monday - Friday
9:00AM - 5:00PM